Thursday, February 3, 2011

"Stars Shining Right Above You" - The sound of London is strong: say hello to Chapel Club



















Chapel Club have been around for while now and there has been an influx of interest leading up to their long awaited, delayed debut album 'Palace' released last Monday 31st Jan.
 I have been looking out for them from the moment I heard their single 'Five Trees' in April last year;



For me this album has been hotly anticipated for months and as soon as I got my copy I wasn't disappointed. The album was produced by award wining producer Paul Epworth who is credited for working with the likes of Adele, Bloc Party & Primal Scream and the production value on 'Palace' is high.

Guitarist Michael Hibbert has stated that My Bloody Valentine & The Velvet Underground have been a big influence on the guitar sound of Chapel Club and keen listeners will definitely hear that.

Its fair enough to say that this band is not necessarily pushing boundaries in terms of their sound, however you cannot deny their appeal. Lyrically, I can honestly say that this album stands as a fine piece of work. Each song draws you in as a story unfolds. On 'All The Eastern Girls' a picture is instantly created even in the first 3 lines:

My mind is like a night garden
Heavy with shadow it stares
Your eyes adjust to the dark.

The band hale from London and there are currently several bands who are pushing this big Post Punk / Joy Divisionesque sound  - O Children & Red Drapes to name but 2.

Its easy to make comparisons and there a clearly nods to Scott Walker, The Smiths & Joy Divsion but Chapel Club's sound is tight, emotional and honed. The songs are personal and have an epic melodramatic sound, lyrically the album is superb and 'Palace' will stand the test of time. It might not be the most accessible album ever released but it has without doubt grabbed my attention.

There are very few albums in the age of digital singles that demand the listener to enjoy all tracks on an album. This is one of them. Highlights are 'O Maybe I' and current single 'Surfacing':

Chapel Club - 'Surfacing' by east city records


This may well go on to one of the biggest records of the year and it fully deserves to. Chapel Club are currently on tour all over the UK and will no doubt be hitting all the major festivals this summer. For more information on CC head here.


Posted By Andy in London


1 comment:

  1. You had me at the mention of Paul "Phones" Epworth's Midas touch and I knew I'd like it. These lads have flown under my radar apparently (says the man who only just now properly got into White Lies and could kick himself for missing their recent LA gig), but no more!

    ReplyDelete