Friday, February 11, 2011

Cut Copy - Zonoscope


I think Melbourne's Cut Copy have fortunately been in the right place at the right time. The 80's synth wave sound is back in a big way in clubs and with the recent release of Rough Trade's Synth Wave 10 compilation acts like Zola Jesus are making a big impact. Cut Copy's synth pop sound is nothing bun fun and their sound has  matured on their new album Zonoscope which was released on Monday. I am writing this on a grey and wet day in London and listening to their single Take Me Over has filled my head with thoughts of Summer. This is an upbeat single and is not a million miles away from my favorite track 'Lights & Music' which was doing the rounds in 2008.

Cut Copy - "Take Me Over" (Radio Edit) Premiere by modularpeople


Did you here a little Fleetwood Mac riff in there? I did.

The reason I say I think they have been in the right place at the right time is because their popularity took off on the back of the 'Nu Rave' scene in 2007 lead by the likes of CSS & The Klaxons. After DJing at Fabric in London and releasing 2008's 'In Ghost Colours', the likes of DFA and The Juan Mcclean started to notice the Australian 3 piece and now here we are 2011 with 80's synth wave making a return in a big way & look who has released their new album - only those pesky electro-synth lovers Cut Copy.


On Zonoscope its not all bouncy rythms though and that is why I say their sound has developed, I reckon they they have been listening to Primal Screams' - Screamadelica - take their track 'Where I'm Going' and let us know if you agree?


Cut Copy - Where I'm Going by cutcopymusic


It is a good album but I don't think it will change the world. These tracks are uplifting and they are a great live band. I got to see them at last year's Lovebox festival in London and they are the perfect live band for a scorching day in July.

My favorite track on the album is 'Need You Now' which builds brilliantly into a great uplifting tune....


Need You Now by cutcopymusic

Go and explore Cut Copy and if you get a chance to see them at a festival with the sun on your face ...do it!

They are on tour all over Europe and play the Forum in London on March 6th with support from the disco making boffins Holy Ghost - I may have to grab a ticket!

Holy Ghost! - Hold On by future classic

Happy Friday!

-Andy in London

No comments:

Post a Comment