Monday, February 7, 2011

"I don't know about my dreams anymore" - James Blake: James Blake Album Review


I really want to like James Blake's debut album which was released today.

I have been listening to it all weekend - it's stark, beautifully produced and heart wrenchingly melancholic. James Blake's sounds have been labelled by music journalists as 'Post Dub-Step' due to his production techniques, use of low frequency bass notes and his tie up with the Mount Kimbie. It's not an easy album to get into on first listen, but has the ability to really stick with you.

I am not going to deny that fact that I was swept up in the hype surrounding the 22 year old's rise to underground stardom and eventual big label release. A lot of people have had much to say about this 'modern pop prodigy', so I had to find out what this guy was all about. Just before the New Year his cover of Leslie Feist's Limit To Your Love was all over the place and got some serious airplay - the cover is infectious, haunting & without doubt is a perfect introduction to James Blake's style.

My stand out track on the album is 'The Wilheim Scream with its beautiful vocals and very delicate dub bassline. This track deserves a superb pair of headphones. There are not many tunes that make you just want to stop whatever is it your doing and just absorb the sounds, well that is exactly what has happened to me with this track. Hypnotic, beautifully and incredible delicate.

Try out this 4 track sampler:


James Blake by JamesBlake

James's vocals are stunning and as already mentioned his production is slick - there is just something bothering me about this album.

Yes it's stark, yes it's minimal and yes it's most definitely is experimental. I think that my problem with some of the tracks is that they are so stripped back. They sit on their own as stunning experimental pieces of work but sometimes feel like they need more depth. Now I don't know whether I am over analyzing James's intentions but I think I was expecting a more dubby sound like the CMYK Ep. His tracks do make for some stunning remixes and already a floury of them are all over the place. For example CMYK which has elements of cut up vocal samples similar to Prefuse 73 & Four Tet's sounds. Try this tech house remix of CMYK, go on get your dance on....


James Blake - CMYK (eLDOKO Remix) by eLDOKO

Will this be the new sound of modern pop music, who knows? It's a difficult, challenging album but makes you ponder and I am sure it will, without doubt be sighted as an inspiration to some.

Further Listening
The post dub-step sound is alive in London with the likes of Pantha Du Prince:

The Splendour by Pantha du Prince

The already mentioned Mount Kimbie:


Mount Kimbie - Serged by subraw

& finally the other much hyped JamieWoon with further haunting vocals and melodramatic wobbly basslines:

Jamie Woon - Night Air by cameelah



-Andy in London

1 comment:

  1. For me, CMYK was fantastic. Looking forward to checking out this release...but it's going to be hard for it to live up to the hype surrounding it (http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/15081-james-blake/)

    Dig your inclusion of Mount Kimbie. "Crooks and Lovers" was one of my favorites of 2010.

    Dig the blog. Thx.

    ReplyDelete