Monday, April 25, 2011

I'm feeling a bit Jeff Buckley Today...

It all started when I was taking a walk at dusk and Mr. Buckley's version of  Billie Holiday's "Strange Fruit" popped up on my iPod.  It instantly put me in a mood for some similar tunage,  and leads me to someone who reminds me quite a bit of the magnanimous Mr. Buckley.  If you appreciate a laid-back singer songwriter that doesn't put you on folk-overload, then I think you would put Patrick Joseph in the swell files.  Not all Buckley reminiscent all the time, the multi-instrumentalist presents a varied and soothing repertoire of well crafted songs.  His recently released album Antiques, is available for a "name your price" download through the artist's website.  One of the stand-out tracks, "Better Than it Was Before."




The song that first garnered the artist attention on the web in 2009 that also ended up on Antiques, is "Arsonist Blues."

Arsonist Blues by Patrick Joseph by mediaHomusic

However I think I'm more partial to the track Escape Artist, also on Antiques:

Escape Artist by Patrick Joseph


Mr. Joseph performs around town at venues like Hotel Cafe, El Cid, and Room 5.  If you have a chance, check him out.

P.S. Patrick and fellow musician Lucas Martinez do a really good cover of Nina Simone's "Feeling Good" and if you see them live, keep your ears open for this one!



-Laura in LA

No comments:

Post a Comment