Thursday, March 24, 2011

Kurt Vile supplying the tunes for a sun soaked Spring

So Spring 2011 has landed in London and the sun is shining and the sunglasses have been dusted off and people are walking the streets of Soho with a smile on their face. I have been listening to Kurt Vile's debut album for the past few days and I have to say 'Smoke Ring For My Halo' which was released on Matador a couple of weeks ago is almost the perfect soundtrack to the sun soaked city.



To be honest I had not heard anything from this album until I got hold of it and Kurt Vile (lead singer of The War On Drugs) has delivered a collection of psychedelic, fuzz filled folk songs that are brilliant. The War On Drugs really reminded of The Verve's early work and Kurt's vocals are not a million miles away from Richard Ashcrofts. I don't usually like comparing musicians but Kurt's sound really hit a nerve with me and this album already has the nostalgic feeling you get when you return to an amazing record after several years. Clearly Kurt was a hit at SXSWand you can hear why. Spend some time today getting to know Kurt Vile's sound and you wont regret it - start with 'Baby's Arms':

Kurt Vile - Baby's Arms by squidrobot

Kurt Vile - Jesus Fever by musicmule

I have mentioned them before but Kurt's band The War on Drugs released one my favorite tunes of last year and it's worth listening to again - The War On Drugs - Comin' Through.


Comin' Through - The War On Drugs by livkend

Wherever you are, enjoy the first sights and sounds of Spring!

Andy in London

No comments:

Post a Comment